Young Artist Award Competition 2019
The National Eisteddfod Young Artist Award Competition, launched in 2013, provides an opportunity for top achievers in the Creative and Visual Arts. It provides a next level of competition for the future Ester Mahlangu and Irma Sterns of our country.
All artworks will be adjudicated by a panel of adjudicators that will include arts educators and artists from the arts industry.
Calling young Artists!
Are you the future Irma Stern or Ester Mahlangu?
Who may participate in this competition?
Participants in the National Eisteddfod 2018
- All participants in the National Eisteddfod of South Africa that received Diploma Awards for Visual Arts in 2018 may enter for this competition.
- Only participants in the National Eisteddfod of South Africa 2018 can register their intention to enter online
- Lower entry fee applies, including an “Early Bird entry fee” for those who submit their entries ONLINE before 9 Feb 2019.
Participants in other festivals or events.
- Any young artist that received a diploma or similar award in any other Visual & Creative Arts Competition/Festival/Eisteddfod during 2018 may enter.
- Organizers of other eisteddfods and festivals may also enter their top achievers in Art under the name of their organization.
- Alternatively, parents of participants in other Visual Arts eisteddfods and festivals are welcome to enter on their own.
- Schools, institutions, studios, do not necessarily participate in eisteddfods or other festivals or only do so bi-annually. Some of these institutions / studios manage their own internal visual arts events / competitions. In order to create an additional platform for young visual and creative artists, these institutions / studios are invited to enter their top achievers for annual National Eisteddfod Young Artist Award Competition. The expected level of achievement is high; therefore these entries can only be selected and submitted by the relevant institution. This will usually follow a process of internal selection and cannot be done by individual parents.
- A copy of the diploma of similar certificate / report as awarded at another festival in 2018 should be attached to the entry.
What is the format of this competition?
Participants are required to submit the particular artwork that received a diploma award in 2018 for this next level competition. (A new artwork should not be created for this competition).
The adjudicators’ panel will adjudicate all artworks according to the school grade of participants. All participants will receive feedback and a certificate to confirm that they have participated in this competition.
The adjudicators will select the best artwork in each grade and will then select a winner in each of the following categories:
- Entry Level (Gr. 0 – 3
- Junior (Gr. 4 – 7)
- Senior (Grade 8 – Open Section)
The winners of each grade will be invited to the Final Round of the 16th Young Performer Awards Competition on 29 May 2019 at the Roodepoort Theatre. These Grade Winners will be presented with Certificates to this effect. At this event the 3 category winners will be announced and they will be presented with trophies and cash prizes..
How do I submit my entry?
The submission or visual art entries involves 3 steps:
- “Registering” of your intention to submit an artwork for adjudication: this should be done on the ONLINE entry platform or by submitting an entry form in hard copy format
- Submission of the entry fee before the closing date of the entry category (Early Bird entry fees should be paid BEFORE the closing date for Early Bird fees).
- Delivering / mailing the particular artwork to the NEA Office.
Art Diploma recipients in the National Eisteddfod
- Participants in the National Eisteddfod of South Africa 2018 can submit entries online. (A discounted entry fee is charged for online entries.)
- Participants in the National Eisteddfod of South Africa 2018 can also submit entries in hard copy format. (please note: a higher entry fee applies).
- To qualify for the cheaper online fee, entries should be submitted before the deadlines for entries as provided below.
Art Diploma recipients in the other festivals
- Participants in other festival/events/internal competitions can only submit entries in hard copy format.
- Entry forms for participants in other festival/events/internal competitions should be downloaded from the website.
- Entry forms should be submitted before the closing date for entries.
Submission of Artwork
All artwork should be submitted to the NEA Offices, either by hand, courier or mail not later than 12 April 2019.
All artwork need to be submitted to the NEA office by 12 April 2019.
For any questions or clarity on issues on this page, please contact the NEA office on
Tel: 011 886 6005 / fax: 011 787 3534 or